[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15...

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Oct 3 14:05:02 EDT 2003

>> 2003-15, as is, has significant disenfranchising effects on small(er)
>> ISPs in North America and, as such, would do substantial damage to
>> ARIN as an organization.  It contains good policy, but, the
>> sub-regional exclusivitiy is extremely harmful, and, should not be
>> allowed to pass.
>
> The term "disenfranchise" in this neck of the woods means to take
> something away (like a vote, or some power or right or suchlike).

Right.  By passing 2003-15 as is, in my opinion, it sends the clear
message to small(er) Orgs in North America that their voice does not
and never will matter within ARIN.  That while they can have a vote,
their vote will never be meaningful because they will always have
less sway than the large(r) providers.  Afterall, it sends the message
that they can't have /22 allocations, but, Sub-Equatorial Africa can.

> 2003-15 does no such thing, it takes nothing from anyone. It

In it's words, it obviously doesn't intend to do that.  However, I hope
that I have shown you how it effectively would do exactly that.

> endeavours to make Internet services in a particular sub-region of
> ARIN's control more accessible (ie it "enfranchises" ISPs). That it
> does so to a subset of the ARIN region of control is true, and it
> seems presumptious to suggest that this action will have some kind of
> blocking effect should other subregions ask for similar
> enfranchising. The argument can go either way, ie "it's working OK in

If they hadn't already made that request and had it sort of evaporate
without a trace, I would agree with you.  However, since such a request
has a multi-year history within ARIN, it seems to me that passing it
for Sub-Equatorial Africa first would absolutely have exactly that kind
of effect.

Owen