[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Oct 3 10:38:04 EDT 2003

In a message written on Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 02:43:36PM +0200, Calvin Browne wrote:
> I'm going to need arguments other than "it will inadvertantly help you"
> before I change my stance from 'no negative comment, do it if there is
> enough consensus amongst yourselves' to 'yeah - I support it'.

I've seen this comment a couple of times, and as a supporter of
2002-3 I want to clarify my position.

If you go back in the archive you'll see I've proposed many times
that I believe if you have an AS number you should be able to get
a /24 (or larger block if you can justify it).  Remember that the
AS criteria already requires you to be multihomed.  That is, I
support that every multi-homed ISP should be able to get their own
addresses independant of their upstream.

I believe that should be true for EVERYONE EVERYWHERE in the WORLD.

Now, it has become clear to me we're not going to get to what I
want in one step (if we ever get there), so for the moment 2002-3
is the best step forward I think we can get supported.  That doesn't
change my believe that it should apply to everyone, everywhere.

So please, don't think we drafted a US based policy and are now
happy it inadvertantly helps some other group.  I think most
supporters believe this should be a global policy, and while this
is the ARIN mailing list would argue for the same on a RIPE mailing
list, or an APNIC mailing list, or if it were a real registry an
AfriNIC mailing list.

So, we may not have realized the impact this would have on Africa
when we drafted it specifically, but that does not change the fact
that we thought it was good for everyone, and know that we know
Africans are part of everyone that doesn't change one bit.