[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region

Calvin Browne calvin at orange-tree.alt.za
Fri Oct 3 08:43:36 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 21:01, Owen DeLong wrote:
> > I'm still uncomfortable with AfriNIC people getting involved with
> > 2002-3. I don't know enough about N. American networking to understand
> > it. Anyone who sees me supporting 2002-3 needs to weigh up that fact and
> > adjust my support accordingly (This should by no means be interpreted as
> > saying that 2002-3 should not be passed, just that *I* have no idea).
> > But when it comes to Africa, well, in the past month or two, I've
> > interacted with Kenyans, Ghanaians, Zimbabweans, Rwandans, Tanzanians,
> > Tunisian, Mozambicans, Sudanese and in fact, yesterday I got a call from
> > someone involved with the regulator in Botswana asking about setting up
> > a peering point (I'm going to put him onto the appropriate people
> > shortly as this is not my forte).
> >
> 2002-3 will affect Africa every bit as much as 2003-15.  You should base
> your decision about 2002-3 on the effect it will have where you are.  There
> are plenty of people who will vote on 2002-3 based on their North American
> perceptions.  Unlike 2003-15, 2002-3 is NOT specific to a portion of ARIN.

I find this logic flawed - its like Lesotho having veto rights over
South African transport rules, purely because it is wholy surrounded by
SA.
My reasoning tells me to act towards 2002-3 in the same manner as if
AfriNIC were up and functioning.

Maybe, you can pretend I'm in S. America and not S. Africa and let me
know why I should support 2002-3 outside of the fact that it will also
help those Southern Africans accross the pond (change the subject so
that it gets recorded under 2002-3).

> I hope you will support 2002-3.  Further, I hope you will support the idea
> of amending 2003-15 to encompass all of ARIN when the time comes, since I
> hope you will be able to see that it is good for everyone, not just Africa
> that way.  I will support 2002-3.  I will support 2003-15 if it is an
> ARIN-wide policy.  I cannot support 2003-15 as an Africa-specific policy
> because I don't know enough about Africa to make decisions for them.

I'm going to need arguments other than "it will inadvertantly help you"
before I change my stance from 'no negative comment, do it if there is
enough consensus amongst yourselves' to 'yeah - I support it'.

> I can oppose 2003-15 as an Africa-specific policy because I believe it
> will do harm to ARIN as a whole regardless of any positive impact it may
> have on Africa.

If 2003-15 is going to do harm to ARIN as a whole or in part, then it
*should* be opposed - but I don't believe your arguments are valid on
this.
I read your reasoning as being '2003-15 will ease the pressure on ARIN
for lowering allocations requirements accross the board, and so it is
bad'. This doesn't reconcile with my understanding that ARIN already has
sub-region policies. Heck - it is so obvious, they they didn't even go
through the normal policy procedure when they implemented it - they just
snuck it in when people were not looking ;-).

> Owen

regards

--Calvin

 Calvin Browne calvin at UniForum.org.za c at lvin.co.za
               Office phone: 080 314 0077        +27 11 314-0077
               http://orange-tree.alt.za Mobile: +27 83 303-0663
               Call me for Linux/Internet consulting