[ppml]How far is too far?

william at elan.net william at elan.net
Fri Oct 3 07:59:59 EDT 2003

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, Dawn Martin wrote:

> Just wondering how far we intend on taking this? All assignments and
> all allocations coming directly from the RIR's?

I doubt it would ever be substantial amount even if we allow everybody to
get ips easily with no conditions because most companies just get ISP
services and expect their isp to provide ip as part of the package.

Personally I think the deciding issue should be if organization is
multi-homed (has asn and traffic independent of any particular isp), then
it should be left up to organization to get ips from its ISP or from RIR
(and since its multihomed they already announce their ips as separate
prefix, so independ assignment from RIR would not cause increase of
routing table)

And the charge for ips directly from RIR (even micro-allocation) should be
substantial enough to make it seem easier to get ips from their ISP unless
their ISP is monopolistic or trying to charge very high fee for ips (as in
countries or possibly smaller towns where competition is minimum and you
do not have much choice who to use).