[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region

German Valdez german at lacnic.net
Wed Oct 1 15:07:28 EDT 2003

At 07:55 p.m. 30/09/2003, Leo Bicknell wrote:
>In a message written on Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 01:02:52AM +0200, William
>Stucke wrote:
> > RIR           MIN SIZE        ELIGIBILITY
> > APNIC         /20             /22
> > RIPE          /20             /22
> > LACNIC        /20             /22
> > ARIN          /20             /20
> >
> > In addition, in terms of "inter-registry policy coordination", RIPE
> > currently makes /22 allocations for their "Micro Members" and only requires
> > a demonstrated need for a /22, I believe. AfriNIC intends doing the same.
> > Why is ARIN out of step?
>
>I've never thought to ask the question before, but I agree 100% that
>ARIN is out of step, and wonder why.

It is not neccesary out of step.  RIRs have a strong relationship and
coordination work, but this doesn't mean they are fixing policies according
to others regions.

Policies are based on the caractheristics of the region that RIRs serve
specially with IPv4 issues.

German Valdez
LACNIC Policy Liaison
Potosí 1517