[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Oct 1 12:45:51 EDT 2003

> As someone who has no knowledge of the North American networking scene,
> I'd be hard pressed to support or go against anything proposed for that
> region. I'd prefer those people to sort out their stuff in a way that
> suits them. In fact, it would be extremely arrogant and rude of me to
> adopt any other line.
> The converse if course, applies.

Right... since 2002-3 will affect sub-saharan Africa, decide on it based
on whether you think it is a positive of negative effect for sub-saharan
Africa or all of ARIN.  You can decide that.

The point Leo and I are making is that it is one thing for us to weigh
in and/or make policy for ARIN as a single region which we are a part of.
In that case, we have a stake in the process, and, we are representing
our views of what should be for something we are part of.

It is arrogant and presumptuous for us to attempt to dictate policy for
an area we are not part of.  It is even worse for us to vote in favor
of something we think is needed where we are, but, only to give it
to someone else at the exclusion of the area we are actually in.

For us to vote in favor of 2003-15 in it's current form would be equivalant
to handing our neighbor a band-aid while we continue to bleed, since we
think our neighbor might have a bigger cut the bandaid won't actually
handle.

Owen