[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region

Lee Howard lee.howard at mci.com
Wed Oct 1 12:23:59 EDT 2003

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, William Stucke wrote:

> Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 11:00:18 +0200
> From: William Stucke <William at zanet.co.za>
> To: ppml at arin.net
> Subject: RE: [ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for
>     the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region
>
> Owen (and others) have said words along the lines of: -
>
> >  I am inclined to believe it would be good for *Southern Africa*
>
> Just to be strictly accurate, AfriNIC consists of six sub-regions: -
>
> North Africa
> East Africa
> West Africa
> Central Africa
> Southern Africa
> Indian Ocean
>
> The ARIN area includes *ALL* of these except for North Africa and Indian
> Ocean. That's why we use the term "sub-Saharan Africa", rather than
> "Southern Africa" ;-)

To be strictly accurate, ARIN covers "sub-equatorial Africa" not
"sub-Saharan Africa."
http://ww2.arin.net/library/internet_info/index.html

Cameroon, to take one random example, is sub-Saharan but super-equatorial.
Therefore, it is in the RIPE region, and we won't be having an ARIN
Public Policy meeting there.
http://ww2.arin.net/library/internet_info/RIPEcountries.htm
or .../ARINcountries.htm

By the way, kudos to the ARIN staff for making it pretty easy for me
to find whatever I'm looking for on the ARIN web site.  Whether it's
Bylaws, financial reports, or countries ARIN supports, I haven't spent
more than two minutes looking for information, and I appreciate it.

> William Stucke
> ZAnet Internet Services (Pty) Ltd

Lee