[ppml] FYI: LACNIC micro-allocation policy approved and implemented

Alec H. Peterson ahp at hilander.com
Mon May 19 13:45:20 EDT 2003

<putting on my ARIN AC Chair hat>

--On Monday, May 19, 2003 12:18 -0400 "McBurnett, Jim"
<jmcburnett at msmgmt.com> wrote:

> Well, that is the risk you take. Like William said, ARIN VOTED for it
> and THE AC went thier own way...

That is a major distortion of the truth.

The only straw poll taken with respect to policy proposal 2002-3 at the
Memphis ARIN meeting was 15-4 in favor of the ARIN AC looking into reducing
ARIN's minimum allocation size (you can verify this for yourself in the
meeting minutes,
<http://www.arin.net/library/minutes/ARIN_XI/ppm_minutes_day2.html>).  15-4
may be a majority in and of itself, but when you consider there were over
100 people at the meeting it hardly represents 'almost complete consensus'.

Furthermore, the ARIN AC has specifically NOT abandoned the issue of
reducing ARIN's minimum allocation size.  In fact, the AC has established a
discussion group that is actively looking into this issue, and has been
tasked with forming a proposal that addresses the concerns and wishes
raised by those on all sides of the issue (you may find evidence of the
formation of this group in the April 8 AC meeting minutes, and a report on
the progress will be in the minutes of our last meeting (5/8/2003), once
they are approved).

Once again, I must emphasize that the AC is a group of elected volunteers
who are trying to meet the needs of ALL entities in the ARIN public policy
community.  We _WANT_ to help.

Alec