[ppml] FYI: LACNIC micro-allocation policy approved and implemented

McBurnett, Jim jmcburnett at msmgmt.com
Mon May 19 12:18:52 EDT 2003

Einar, et al.
Who says a customer HAS to go to ARIN for the MicroAllocation?
IT WAS NEVER MANDATED..
I have a /24, and I am Multihomed.
My Block came from a Larger Carrier block.
It took the Carrier 2 weeks to have the Block stripped from
the ACL's on their BGP filters and from the BGP filters from their providers.

Of Course it has been awhile, why beat your head against the wall?

>I think it would be awful for them to consider getting
>nets directly from ARIN.  And it would be even worse for
>them to get nets and subsequently have routing problems that
>we'd have to explain.  And then we'd probably have to renumber these
>guys into our nets anyway for them to get the full routing that
>they want and expect to get.

Well, that is the risk you take. Like William said, ARIN VOTED for it
and THE AC went thier own way...

>It'd be a great disservice to endusers to lead them to ARIN
>to get nets that are sure to have have routing problems.
>
>Today endusers have thankfully gotten used to getting their
>nets from their providers.  Assuming we eventually move
>to v6, that won't change.

And what about those hundreds of customers that got nets from the
DOT BOMB ISPs?

>I'm open to change, but why change this now?  To me this
>is a giant step backwards.
>
>Regards,
>
>Einar Bohlin, IP Analyst
>IP Team - Ashburn Virginia - MCI/UUNET
>703 886-7362 (VNET 806-7362)
>einar.bohlin at mci.com

HMMM MCI-- Well From my standpoint it is the Backbone providers
than can prevent the /24 from being routeable due to non-annoucement
because of any number of excuses... IE Route table growth...
Does this mean you have $$ reasons to say no?

IMHO  There is some point you have to cut the strings...

http://lacnic.net/en/ratification.html