[ppml] RE: [arin-announce] Policy Proposal 2003-3: Residential Customer Privacy

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Tue Mar 18 05:40:54 EST 2003

>Personally I don't like the Private Individual proposal.

I don't like it either. It's another example of bad policy that is too
detailed and therefore misses solving the problem. The fact is that some
organizations or individuals who receive IP addresses, either don't want
to publish contact information or else they are clueless in some way so
there is no point in publishing contact information. Therefore, a
reasonable policy would state something like this:

   There MUST be contact information published for all IP address
sub-allocations and assignments.
   The contact information MAY belong to the upstream organization rather
than the address user
   but it MUST lead to people who can deal with issues such as network
abuse.

See how simple things could be. We want contact information that is
accurate and is usable because it leads to people who can take action.
Sometimes the address user can meet the need for such contact info but
other times the ISP is the only one who can meet these needs. If an ISP
has a large organization as a customer using a /20 of IP address space,
they can still hide the identity of this organization and keep everybody
happy as long as the ISP themselves will act as the contact point.

The only area of possible concern is that ARIN may wish to see the full
identity in order to audit address usage. If we would only get rid of this
antique technology of SWIP and whois and rwhois then this would not be a
problem. LDAP allows secure access and it allows one to define that only
certain users can see certain info. Therefore it is simplicity for an ISP
to run an LDAP server that provides public access to public info and lets
ARIN people, under NDA, have a peek at more detail.

Of course, if we don't want to use modern technology like LDAP, we can
still meet the ARIN requirement by sending them some kind of files or
databases anytime they do an audit. But that's a process problem and I
don't think we need policy to solve it.

P.S. I think the best use of the upcoming meeting is not to discuss the
policies on the table. Rather, I believe it would be more fruitful to
discuss some draft policies that can be discussed over the next few months
and then voted on at the next meeting. There seems to be some interest
right now in policy revision, but I believe it would be a mistake to rush
in and make policy in the disorganized fashion currently in use.