[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-1: Human Point of Contact

spammaster spammaster at spamx.com
Fri Mar 7 13:25:42 EST 2003

> In the amended proposal, I will suggest the
> creation of a category of ABUSE contact, with the requirement that it
> be possible to:
>
> 1. List multiple ABUSE contacts
> 2. The contact should have a Comment Field which can be used
> to specify types of abuse handled by a particular contact.
>
> Further, at least one ABUSE contact should list a phone number which, during
> normal business hours in the timezone applicable to the address listed on
> said POC is answered by one or more live human beings capable of addressing
> network abuse.  Further, that contact's Comment field should contain the
> phrase "Live Contact" followed by the hours in 24hr format with timezone,
> such as "Live Contact 0800-1700 US/Pacific Time".  The timezone should
> be a POSIX timezone name.

This is the best idea and one that, I believe addresses the primary concern
of the entire proposal - It does not have to be a "human being's address"
but one to which mail sent [particularly complaints of spamming] will be
_read_ by a human being and within a short amount of time i.e.
abuse at domain.tld and this, as some minimum, needs to be a requirement.
There should also be a requirement that there shall be a working
"abuse at domain.tld" address as is applied to the "postmaster" address
specified by RFC822.