[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-1: Human Point of Contact

McBurnett, Jim jmcburnett at msmgmt.com
Thu Mar 6 19:23:15 EST 2003

See Inline---
> Hi there,
>
> In my point, what will be the penalty for this policy?
> And how does ARIN check this policy implementation?
> Somebody from ARIN call POC every year - maybe renewal time
> for membership
> fee - to check whether ARIN members are following this or not?

Suggestion: A new template that is parsed automatically at a complaint
template. When this template is parsed the ARIN member can not renew if there has
been a complaint or X number or complaints within the year, if this is made so
they will fix it.
To inform all of this setup the header response to a whois query like this:
====================

ARIN Policy 2003-1 outlines requirements that the POCs be up to date so that
legitimate use of WHOIS data to reach an organization can occur in a timely
and efficient manner.
Should contact attempts be made to this organization via
email result in SMTP bounces,non-delivery-reports, or if the organization is
completely non-responsive after 72-96 hours please send the message or complaint to
WHOISABUSE at arin.net as explained at http://policies.abuse.arin.net/templates/whoisabuse.html

If telephone calls or faxes provide similiar problems identify this problem via the same
template.

========================

Owen,
Maybe this should be added???

> I believe this is a kind of ISP or Enterprise internal policy
> to keep their
> contact point as current as possible.
Today, via their whois data, I was able to
IMMEDIATELY contact someone when I got a high volume of the SLAMMER virus
hitting one of my remote sites' firewall.  If this company, was not responsible
then what would do? contact their ISP and pray? I did before I called them,
the ISP put me to voice mail jail. This is the point. We as an organization
need a policy that says : Don't lie to me about contact info, give it to me
or ...............

As you put it, this is their responsibilty and we should let them handle it
and we (ARIN) as an organization can not correct their lack of attention to WHOIS?
If I was maintaining a database for customers, (HMM ARIN is..) I would want it
to be correct. besides how does ARIN bill the customer..

There are more issues here than just a policy...

> Maintaining contact point to be reachable by ARIN Whois
> database will be
> ISP's or End-user's responsibility, not ARIN's.
> If we want to keep this as much as detailed, I believe it's
> enough to put
> "recommendation" in ARIN's template to state this.

Following that assumption, should we assume that 90% will do
what is right most of the time and not cause problems.
While I have said you always have the 10% bad apple gang, in this
realm I would not count the incorrect POCs as bad apples, but
as ignorant apples...
While I don't agree with all the policies listed here at the below
website, I sure like a few of them.
www.rfc-ignorant.com

Snipped for length...

Jim