[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-1: Human Point of Contact

Lee Howard lee.howard at wcom.com
Thu Mar 6 10:29:46 EST 2003

I sense a little hostility here, but I'm not sure whether you're angry
that we changed the email address of our Abuse POC, or something I said.

I am trying to keep the conversation on track, as PPML is clearly the
wrong forum to air grievances against any entity, personal or corporate
(except ARIN, and maybe the ASO or ICANN in address-related ways).

Are you proposing a policy that the Abuse POC email address must be
abuse at domainname?  While I recognize the usefulness of certain well-known
email address, such as postmaster, hostmaster, webmaster, and root, I
don't know that "abuse" has been established and accepted by the
community.  Is this in a Best Current Practices RFC?

If this is your proposal, how do you propose to assign domain names to
network assignments?  If 172.16.0.0/16 is allocated to Acme Holdings,
who operates under the domain name acme.com, acme.net, acme.com.ca,
acmeholdings.com, and explodinganvil.mil, which domain will you require
to be on the Abuse POC?

As for the specific example you give below:
I believe you will find that abuse at uu.net does work.  Abuse-mail at uu.net
was created so users could separate Usenet abuse (abuse-news at uu.net),
ongoing intrusion attempts (security at uu.net), and spam (abuse-mail at uu.net).
Having separate aliases allows us to direct the reported incident to
the right people faster.  I agree that users would only know about these
if they did a WHOIS query or looked at our support page.  So abuse at uu.net
should still work, it just gets manually sorted, and therefore takes
longer.  As I'm sure you know, WorldCom bought MFS (which owned UUNET)
at the end of 1996, which may explain why there is a transition from
@uu.net aliases to @wcom.com aliases.

I've said before that I don't mind people using UUNET or WorldCom as
examples, positive or negative, in discussions on this list or at public
meetings.  My only request is that the example be used to support or
argue ARIN-related matters, and not as venues to air grievances.  If
you have a beef with me or the company I work for, email me privately
so the rest of the people on this list who are trying to get some work
done don't have to be involved.

Lee Howard	Lee.Howard at wcom.com  (703) 886-5231
Sr. Manager 	Internet Installations,
WorldCom	IP Policy and Allocations