[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-1: Human Point of Contact

McBurnett, Jim jmcburnett at msmgmt.com
Tue Mar 4 22:08:06 EST 2003

> That sounds like a volunteer to me... You're available 24/7 right?
>
> Let's get real here, that policy isn't just bad it's absurd.
> Role accounts

I remember a job I once had where when someone called and asked for
Roger Williams, someone became Roger. HMMM-
Should role accounts become no longer valid, I believe that many will
find their own Roger. Sad to say, but I do not want my name plastered any
more around the web than it already is.

> exist for a reason, and 99% of the time it is to improve
> communications.
> I'd suggest that trying to solve the 1% of the cases where people are
> hiding behind roles by breaking the other 99% is not the way to go.
>
> I'd also suggest that it is a fallacy to project what you consider
> "reasonable" in your business onto others. For example, who is the 1
> person that you would recommend to handle all of UUNet's issues?

Ah 1 person.. Sounds like Roger is in the bldg again...
I think we can say Roger is a Role account, but only in fact not in
Policy.

This policy will never work.  If the one is a tech and he/she will never
be able to finish the task, if the one is in management and he/she will just
delegate, and hence the one is no longer a one....

Either way, what happens when the one goes on vacation, gets sick etc,
change the address for 1 day?

anyway I think this policy is a little bit too strict.
and I can't foresee it working... nor it being enforceable..
Is ARIN going to ask for a drivers license # for every
new contact?
I think this policy needs to meet another old friend, Davy Jones..

Jim