[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-1: Human Point of Contact

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Tue Mar 4 21:34:05 EST 2003

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 11:36:19AM -0500, Member Services wrote:
> Problems:
>         I understand the issue of hate mail, threats, and the general
>         difficulty of dealing with irate complainers.  However, in
>         any business, there are risks.  Being the human lightning rod
>         for these complaints at a large provider is not a lot of fun,
>         but it is a job which must be done.  Nobody likes to clean
>         the restroom.

That sounds like a volunteer to me... You're available 24/7 right?

Let's get real here, that policy isn't just bad it's absurd. Role accounts
exist for a reason, and 99% of the time it is to improve communications.
I'd suggest that trying to solve the 1% of the cases where people are
hiding behind roles by breaking the other 99% is not the way to go.

I'd also suggest that it is a fallacy to project what you consider
"reasonable" in your business onto others. For example, who is the 1
person that you would recommend to handle all of UUNet's issues?