[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-1: Human Point of Contact

Dr. Jeffrey Race jrace at attglobal.net
Tue Mar 4 21:13:24 EST 2003

On 04 Mar 2003 17:43:52 -0500, Jeff S Wheeler wrote:

>Again, from my outsider's perspective, it seems like the ARIN does not
>have the necessary resources to perform its current duties, even with a
>budget excess in the millions of US Dollars.  I assume this is due to an
>aversion to adding headcount with the assumption that registration needs
>will decrease as the economy slows and new IT spending decreases; or
>that management is simply incapable of growing beyond the current volume
>and complexity of operations no matter what resources are available.
>
>If either of my above assumptions are true, I doubt that any more ARIN
>human resources would be available to conduct these investigations.  For

Another datapoint: my complaints to APNIC about phony/outdated/incomplete
data have always received polite replies and followups.   So it is
organizationally possible to do.  (They do not however follow up as
a matter of policy failure to operate RFC-specified role accounts, a
major point of contention.)

It may be possible to state that ad interim ARIN must follow up all
human-generated complaints, until mechanisms/budgets are in place
for a wholesale standalone effort.

Anything less than this, saying e.g. 'there is no money'  is just dreaming
on in the "let the victims pay" business model.

Jeffrey Race