[hm-staff] Re: [ppml] RIR shopping -- AND MORE

Anne Lord anne at apnic.net
Mon Mar 3 21:57:40 EST 2003

Einer,

Just one clarification and one comment:

At 08:43 PM 3/3/2003 -0500, Einar Bohlin wrote:
>RIR shopping?  Check this out:
>
>The initial IP allocation policies for ARIN and APNIC both
>get you a /20 (see below for more info), but the
>requirements and what you have to do after you
>get the net are different.
>
>The fastest way to get your own IPs:
>ARIN - Be multihomed and using a /21
>APNIC - Be using a /22 (or need one today)
>
>Assuming the ISP wants to renumber into their
>own nets, what renumbering are they faced with?
>
>             best case                 typical worst case
>ARIN           /21                       /20 or more
>APNIC  zero renumbering needed               /22

This is not quite correct. There is a renumbering requirement. The policy
states:

"To be eligible to obtain an initial allocation, an LIR must:

- have used a /22 from their upstream provider or demonstrate an immediate
need for a
   /22;
- have complied with applicable policies in managing all address space
previously
   allocated to it;
- demonstrate a detailed plan for use of a /21 within a year; and
- commit to renumber from previously deployed space into the new address
space within
   one year"

details are in:
http://www.apnic.net/docs/policy/add-manage-policy.html#9.3

The reason that the criteria are slightly less restrictive in the APNIC
region is in recognition of regional development. ie. the Internet is much
less mature as an industry in many economies in the region and their market
base is just much slower in gathering momentum. This was deemed important
by the community and the policies reflect this.

Hope this helps,

regards,

Anne
Anne Lord, Manager, Policy Liaison               <anne at apnic.net>
Asia Pacific Network Information Centre       phone: +61 7 3858 3100
http://www.apnic.net                                        fax: +61 7 3858
3199