[ppml] RIPE and APNIC make in-addrs avail with no fuss.

william at elan.net william at elan.net
Wed Jun 11 15:38:54 EDT 2003

> Perhaps ARIN has gone too far the other way, requiring too much stuff to go
> through the policy process.  But where should ARIN draw the line?

In my view its exactly what AC is supposed to do - give ARIN its opinion
if something is or is not policy issue, and if it is, then send it to
policy process with either somebody from AC taking the lead or somebody
else from the public proposing necessary policy. If it is not, give its
view/recomendation on how to best handle it if ARIN is not sure.

This entire problem with in-addr seems to have been completely unnessarily
raised question for policy making. I really do not see anything wrong with
ARIN just making the data publicly available (and neither do other RIRs it
seems) and its not very hard when they already have this data to just copy
it to ftp server (yes some work is involved to make sure copy process goes
ok, etc but really this is very small considering other things arin does
including without any specific policy about it).

And as far as possible AUP - this is different from whois. In whois AUP,
private data and email addresses and provided as a bulk and as a result
its an easy case for abuse (for advertising and such), so AUP is to protect
the data. While with INADDR access its not the data that people are
worried but that the process of getting it may put strain on arin servers
- if there needs to be an aup for such a case, it needs to be completely
different then whois and should not be related to it.

This is probably my last email on this subject... Lets hope arin seen all
this and will make inaddr data available on their ftp soon for those who
need it (I really don't think it would be that many that download it or
put strain on its resources - unlike possibly if this was done by dns
transfers, which idea I do not like either).

--
William Leibzon
Elan Communications Inc.
william at elan.net