[ppml] A proposal to modify proposal 2003-9 (WHOIS and INADDR access)

kent at songbird.com kent at songbird.com
Tue Jun 10 19:37:31 EDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 04:18:25PM -0600, John M. Brown wrote:
> > On Tuesday  William said this to Jim's post:
> > What workload??? They already have these zone files as they
> > use them in
> > the dns server. The "workload" involves setting a cron to copy them
> > daily to publicly available ftp or web server...
>
> Not respecting that there is infact a certain amount of workload is
> wrong.  The ARIN STAFF has always done good solid work and its
> generally a thankless job.
>
> Work load would include:
>
> Assuring the cron worked each day and that something didn't get
> mucked up
>
> Assuring that the additional file transfer load didn't affect
> other services on the FTP server.
>
> I'm sure there are a couple of other items that I'm missing.

Indeed.

For example: there are internal servers that keep authoritative data,
and public servers that provide data to the outside world.  So there are
issues of crossing security boundaries.  Managing security boundaries
like that is always work, because you really do have to think about
what you are doing.

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be
Manager of Technical Operations, ICANN      lonesome."