[ppml] A proposal to modify proposal 2003-9 (WHOIS and INADDR access)

John M. Brown john at chagres.net
Tue Jun 10 18:18:25 EDT 2003

> On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, McBurnett, Jim wrote:
>
> > And finally, Policies? if ARIN needs a Policy for everything,
> > then how will they every get anything done...
> > But honestly, I think this whole topic is about justifing
> > workload or preventing workload. let's get the label right.....

> On Tuesday  William said this to Jim's post:
> What workload??? They already have these zone files as they
> use them in
> the dns server. The "workload" involves setting a cron to copy them
> daily to publicly available ftp or web server...

Not respecting that there is infact a certain amount of workload is
wrong.  The ARIN STAFF has always done good solid work and its
generally a thankless job.

Work load would include:

Assuring the cron worked each day and that something didn't get
mucked up

Assuring that the additional file transfer load didn't affect
other services on the FTP server.

I'm sure there are a couple of other items that I'm missing.

So, there is work load.

> I simply do not understand why ARIN makes some zone files publicly
> available already and not others. There seems to be some kind
> of other reason (not "workload") behind them not putting the rest of
> the zone files up and I'd like to know what it is.

I agree, I'm not sure why they stopped making this data available
when previously requested.