[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-3: Residential Customer Privacy

Charles Scott cscott at gaslightmedia.com
Mon Jul 28 11:44:36 EDT 2003

Michael:
  As a practical matter, I think it's important to be able to get in touch
with at least someone who will take responsibility for any particular
address, whether that's the end-user, their local ISP, or the ISP's
backbone provider. Personally, I'd prefer that the higher-level provider
be the one listed as they are the one who's ultimately responsible for
their downstream customer. If more detailed customer data in the whois
database gives the higher-level provider some excuse to pass the
responsibility on to someone who's less able or likely to be helpful, then
the data is counter-productive. Also, more whois data attracts more abuse.
  As such, perhaps the whois database should only offer information on the
organization who directly received the allocation from ARIN, and who would
be the one who's ultimately responsible for the use of that address space.
This would significanly reduce whois workload, would virtually eliminate
abuse of the database, and would still provide information for a
responsible contact. It would also make it much easier to establish
and implement standards regarding the listed contacts.

Chuck Scott