[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-3: Residential Customer Privacy

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Mon Jul 28 05:48:28 EDT 2003

>Psudeo-anonymity/privacy lies in the land of dynamic and NAT'd
>addressing. If there's a *need* for consumption of finite resources,
>there's a *need* for accountability. If someone needs 'permanent'/
>sizable allocations, why do they need to hide? Is there a theory
>that the lack of 'privacy' (psuedo-anonymity) is preventing adoption
>of IP technology?

The focus on privacy and anonymity is why we should reject this
policy proposal. It is looking at the problem from the wrong
direction. Instead of assuming that the whois directory should
include everyone's contact info unless they desire or need
privacy, we should be asking ourselves what information needs to
go into the whois directory.

What is the purpose of the whois directory? Is it to allow anyone
and everyone to compile lists of contact information for any
purpose whatsoever? I say no it is not and that is why we need
to scrap the existing whois directory.

Who should be in a whois directory? I say that only people and
organizations who wish to be contacted should be in the directory.

What is the purpose of a listing in the whois directory? To enable
anyone to contact a person who is ready, willing and able to
communicate about specific network abuse issues and who has the
ability to take action. Sometimes the action will take the form
of relaying a message to a downstream provider who is not able to
operate their own 24 x 7 abuse desk and that is perfectly valid.

If you agree, then I'd like suggestions on some wording for a policy
proposal to be submitted before the 1st week of September.

--Michael Dillon