[ppml] Policy 2002-7

McBurnett, Jim jmcburnett at msmgmt.com
Tue Jan 21 12:37:54 EST 2003

Bill,
Following your conciseness request:
I feel that as a small-mid size business and in light of recent router memory improvements that the cost of a Class C from ARIN should be adjusted to reflect similiar costs as mentioned in 2002-7.
Some ISP's charge an exorbent amount for a Class C to multi-home, some are fair, but end result is this is unregulated and varies from carrier to carrier. (I know of one ISP that charges $60 for 5 IP addresses per month, and one that charges $75 for a Class C per month, and a third that charges $300 per month)
But with today's growth of the dependency of Internet connectivity, many small businesses cannot afford to be down extended for extended periods of time, and at the same time most cannot afford $2500 for a Class C from ARIN.
I know I have heard: "if you want to be redundant it costs".  But with IPv6 and some even say IPv8 on the horizon, IP addresses should not become the gold of ages past.

At my company we use VPN's extensively for remote office connectivity.  The redudancy granted by multi-homing mitigates a number of single point of failure problems.  Although that will not mitigate the proverbial backhoe fade, it would help it such cases as a T-1 or larger failure to local premises.

Should 2002-3 cover a price break in the cost of a class C, there should be some kind of "restrictor" plate addon to protect ARIN.  I do not expect, nor do I consider it fair, that an end-user with DS-3 level connections should rate a "small-mid sized" business rate for IP addresses.  But the end user with 2 T-1's from different ISP's should.

All of this flows back to renumbering.  Many people out there have renumbered. How many of you have renumbered due to a dotbom? And lost those IP addresses?  An end user assignment policy that is cost effective, and user driven may make future swamp space less soggy....

Anyway..

just a thought....

Jim