[ppml] Re: Deployment triggers, dates and definitions WAS: backbones

Mury mury at goldengate.net
Thu Jan 9 16:52:06 EST 2003

What is the topic?

It's starting to sound like scrapping IPv6 is or at least delaying the
encouragement of allocating it.

Someone needs to have some sort of plan.  Obviously the plan might change,
but why are we even talking about changing the allocation requirement
policy if no-one has any answers to what I think are some pretty important
questions.

And how the heck did someone come up with the current policy without
trying to answer some of those questions?  How can you possibly have a
policy without knowing what you are trying to accomplish?

If the goal is to simply have people start using IPv6 and hope someone
finds a way, why are there any restrictions at all?  In other words, the
policy should be revised to "Anyone requesting IPv6 space shall receive it
after filling out the basic company info template."

If you hope that IPv6 is going get its momentum from somewhere else,
someone needs to explain that and then derive a policy that encourages
those events.

If IPv6 is no where near being usable by a regular ol' LIR (ISP), than the
policy should be changed to reflect that.  Why give free space out to a
certain group of people that won't be able to effectively use it for
years if not decades.

What the heck is the goal?

Mury