[ppml] Re: Deployment triggers, dates and definitions WAS: backbones

Alec H. Peterson ahp at hilander.com
Thu Jan 9 16:28:02 EST 2003

--On Thursday, January 9, 2003 15:29 -0600 Mury <mury at goldengate.net> wrote:

> Out of curiousity however, how do you or other experts see the transition
> to IPv6 happening?  Is there some other strategy other than hoping a
> handful of early adopters will develop an application that requires IPv6
> to work and that everyone will want to get their hands on it?

There are still too many unasnswered questions, and you raised a lot of
them.  We still haven't figured out how to solve the IPv4 multihoming
problems in IPv6.  But the biggest issue is money.  Especially in the days
of the internet/telco bust no backbones are going to throw a ton of money
at an issue that they won't see a benefit from in the short term.  There is
no consumer demand (or even corporate demand).

But we are getting _WAY_ off topic here, again.

Alec

Alec H. Peterson -- ahp at hilander.com
Chief Technology Officer
Catbird Networks, http://www.catbird.com