[ppml] Get you IPv6 Today, lets update the policy

Richard Jimmerson richardj at arin.net
Tue Jan 7 16:33:20 EST 2003

Hello John,

Thank you for your participation on the list.  I've provided some
clarification to some of the points you have raised, below.

> a) be an LIR

In the ARIN region the term ISP is used in exchange for LIR (Local
Internet Registry).

> So the first barrier is that you must be a ARIN customer

This is not the case.  In the ARIN region you do not first have to be a
customer of the RIR to request Internet addressing resources.

> and that requires you to have received a v4 block from ARIN
> directly.
> Thus you can not be a ISP that receives its space from its
> upstream.
>
> All non-ARIN customers are hereby excluded, you fail requirement

This is not stated in the policy, and is not true.  It is not a
prerequisite to have obtained IPv4 address space from ARIN before
requesting IPv6 address space.  Organizations may request IPv6 address
space from ARIN regardless of their IPv4 registration history.

> In addition, research and development groups within end sites
> are excluded from receiving IPv6 space and thus can't develop
> cool new applications or services that make use of and would
> support the deployment of v6 space.

These organizations may be able to obtain address space from the 6bone.
ARIN also has a proposed policy under discussion, "Experimental Internet
Resource Allocations," that may be applicable in some of these cases.

> d) plan to deploy 200 /48 sites/customers
> You have to be able to provide 200 sites with v6 services within
> 2 years.  Chicken and Egg.  Can't start without having the space,
> can't get the space because you don't know if you can support 8.33
> new v6 connections per month.

In the policy document, item (d) is stated as such:

  d) have a plan for making at least 200 /48 assignments to
     other organizations within two years.

ARIN does not scrutinize plans from requesting organizations for meeting
this requirement.  All we require is they state they have a plan for
making these assignments.

Although I do not foresee that ARIN will go after organizations two
years down the line and revoke their allocation if they were unable to
make assignments to 200 customers, I can understand how this statement
in the policy may cause some concern for requesting organizations.

If there is concern that this or other statements in the policy are
causing hesitation on the part of organizations who want to request IPv6
address space, perhaps it is time to consider changes in accordance with
the procedures set forth in the ARIN Internet Resource Policy Evaluation
Process.

Best Regards,

Richard Jimmerson
Director of Operations