[ppml] Question RE: Draft 2 of proposal for ip assignment with sponsorship

william at elan.net william at elan.net
Thu Feb 27 12:11:17 EST 2003

It is not "necessary" for isp to sponsor and you should consider my proposal
as backup/alternate approach as somebody else already working on successor
to 2002-3/2002-7.

The reasons for this approach is that with some companies I talked to that
were against previous proposals, they were most concerned about possible
abuse if small netblocks are given by ARIN and they feel that only
ISP can best deal with this situation and know if they need to accept
customer or not. Most of my proposals deals with how to prevent abuse  and
I'd venture to say I'v gone as far as can possibly be without having to
put ARIN be the judge of what abuse is which is what they want to avoid.

And as I said in the beginning this is "compromise" approach, it bridges
gap in between some large isps, that do not want to give up their control
of ip assigments and companies that want to be completely independent of
them and deal only with arin on ip assignments. This still allows ISPs
some control over how ips are given but allows changing of backbone
providers and keeping your ip block. This may bring support of some that
apposed previous proposals because but would obviously loose support of
some as well.

As far as your ISP choosing to participate or not to participate in
sponsorship, this would be up to you, but you might loose potential or
actual customers if you do not and with telecom as competitive as it is,
this might make a difference. And I don't think its much of a headache,
most being asked is the same ISP already does when it gets request for IP
block from a customer (and I'm sure those who would refer customer to ARIN
would most likely already looked at their request for ip block), /24 is
already includes as automatic minimum with no justification and most
other being asked is that ISPs keep good records on who their customers
are which any good ISP should already anyway.

Now I'm going to list additional positive points me and somebody else made
about this approach in the email two weeks ago:
  1. ARIN is not put in the position of having to verify multihoming,
     having two sponsors makes sure of that.
  2. Presumably existing arin members would filter out some companies that
     really do not need this separate ip block and make sure and make sure
     that some technical requirements exist for the assignment.
  3. It is still possible for company thatlgot this associative membership
     to move to another isp and keep the ip block, but they would need to
     make sure their new isp is willing to sponsor them.
  4. ARIN has records on who sponsors are and in case of billing problems
     or if it receives reports that address or some other whois info is not
     kept up to date, it can ask for assistance of their sponsors to get in
     touch with right people.
  5. In the event an org discontinues service, the ISP can notify
     ARIN.  In the event the org does not get a new sponsor, ARIN
     can notify the other sponsor that the assignment is no longer
     valid.  This should take care of the issue some have that an
     org could get an assignment and then stop multihoming
  6. I disagree that getting small IP blocks is hampered by this.
     The sponsors would have to agree to announce the block and the
     block could be smaller then a /24 thus conserving the address
     pool.  Since the block may not be contiguous with other blocks,
     there is no aggregation possible and both sponsors would be
     announcing the block to the world
  (Note: 5,6 are by Steve Rolapp, post on Feb 14th)