[ppml] Question RE: Draft 2 of proposal for ip assignment with sponsorship

Marla Azinger marla_azinger at eli.net
Thu Feb 27 11:44:54 EST 2003

Hello-  I know I've missed alot of the discussion between the last
conference and up to this point...so please bear with me and the question I
have...

Why is it necessary for an ISP to "sponsor" this?  So far...sponsorship
sounds like more of a headache than anything...I'm sure I'm missing
something because up to this point...I would just say my company isnt going
to participate in order to avoid...basically...all of it...we'v done fine
without this until now...

I guess what I'm missing here is...how is a smaller telecom company that
provides internet access supposed to benefit from "sponsoring" this?  Is
there a benefit...or is this a bandaid for integrity issues?  I'm sure
there's a good list of reasons I'm missing...like I said I've missed most of
the discussion up to this point...but could someone provide a short and to
the point list of how we'd benefit from "sponsoring" this?

Thank you for your patience and time
Marla
ELI IP Analyst

I would rather not see this language. The policy states that ISP A or ISP B
must inform ARIN
when this happens. I know we can't depend on this to work, but if we build
in a backup, why even
ask ISP A or ISP B to inform ARIN of this change?

Jim