[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-10: Apply the HD Ratio to All Future IPv4 Allocations

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Mon Aug 25 11:16:00 EDT 2003

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Member Services wrote:

> 2. The HD(Host Density) ratio of all previous allocations shall be greater
> than or equal to .966 and the HD ratio of the most recent allocation shall
> be greater than or equal to .930 in order to receive additional space.
>
> 3. The HD ratio is calculated as log10(utilized IPv4
> addresses)/log10(totall addresses in all previous allocations). In this
> formula, log10 refers to the base 10 logarithm.

Is there a good reason to abandon the relatively simple 80% rule in favor
of a mathematically more complicated formula that effectively drops the %
utilization rules by a noticable amount?

> The basic thrust of my proposal is to replace the rigid 80% usage
> criterion by the more flexible HD ratio and to shift the emphasis away
> from the last allocated block to include the total allocated address
> space.

I'd never even noticed that issue until just now.
http://www.arin.net/policy/ipv4.html#additional

  ISPs must have efficiently utilized all previous allocations, and at
  least 80% of their most recent allocation...
  Please note that until your prior utilization is verified to meet the
  80% requirement, ARIN can neither process nor approve a request for
  additional addresses.

I'd always assumed the 80% applied to all of your IP space.  From the
above, it's not clear.  The first bit clearly says it applies to your most
recent allocation.  The second bit suggests to me that it applies to all
prior allocations.  If it doesn't, then what's the definition of
"efficiently utilized all previous allocations"?

> To that end, the .930 criterion for the last block is a lot looser
> than the existing requirements for the last block. This recognizes that
> the economy is more dependent than ever on the smooth running of our
> networks and we should not artificially force members to operate with
> virtually no safety buffers for implementing new addresses.

If that's the reason for suggesting a 0.930 HD requirement on the most
recent allocation, why not just come out and say 50% for the most recent
allocation?

 Atlantic Net                |