[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-10: Apply the HD Ratio to All Future IPv4 Allocations

Louis Lee louie at equinix.com
Thu Aug 21 11:34:49 EDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 11:28:00AM -0400, Member Services wrote:

> Proposal to apply the HD ratio to all future IPv4 allocations.
>
> 1. All requests for additional IPv4 address space shall
> require the efficient utilization of all previous
> allocations including all space reassigned to customers,
> if any.

> The basic thrust of my proposal is to replace the rigid
> 80% usage criterion by the more flexible HD ratio and to
> shift the emphasis away from the last allocated block to
> include the total allocated address space. To that end,
> the .930 criterion for the last block is a lot looser
> than the existing requirements for the last block. This
> recognizes that the economy is more dependent than ever
> on the smooth running of our networks and we should not
> artificially force members to operate with virtually no
> safety buffers for implementing new addresses.

Is it the intent of the proposal author to differentiate
ARIN-allocated space from ARIN-assigned space?  It looks
to be that way, but I'd rather make sure.

Louie
Louis Lee                             louie at equinix.com
Staff Network Engineer            company: 650/513-7000
Equinix, Inc.                        desk: 650/513-7162
http://www.equinix.com/               fax: 650/513-7903