[ppml] Policy Proposal 2002-3: Micro-Assignments for Multihomed Networks

william at elan.net william at elan.net
Thu Aug 21 15:38:11 EDT 2003

> --On Thursday, August 21, 2003 3:24 PM -0400 "McBurnett, Jim"
> <jmcburnett at msmgmt.com> wrote:
>

> > The one item I do not see mentioned is Cost.
> > At one point there was discussion about a reduced price to end-users,
> > that were not reselling/leasing etc the space.  What is the status of
> > this?
>
> Cost generally is not addressed by the public policy process because it is
> a matter for the ARIN membership to consider, not the public policy
> community as a whole.

I think we had discussion about this last year and it was agreed that while
proposal can not specifically mention any particular cost, it can in fact
say that cost is to be lower for micro-assignments according to its size.
(i.e. you can make general direction for cost changes in proposals
 but not particular numbers)

And since we're on the subject of micro-assignments (again!), I'd like to
know current situation too and if AC will be supporting any kind of
micro-assignment proposal. As I already mentioned last meeting, in my
opinion 2002-3 will work just fine, with exception that its a little too
open to abuse (but that can be dealt with separatly and having minimum /22
generally it will not be as easy). The 2002-3 proposal in general was also
approved by greater majority of those who were interested in this subject
last year so I think its clear indication that it should go forward.

However AC said something about bring in their own proposal instead to
reduce minimum assignment for multi-homed organizations to /21 from /20
(while still leaving /21 as requirement, i.e. the only difference is that
instead of getting /20 same companies that qualify even now would get /21).
I've privately said to some members of AC that this is not what people who
want micro-assignments would like and that at the very least requirements
should be /23 with assignment of /22 and that I think separate micro-
assignment policy is better then just changing IPv4 multi-homed policy
(see http://www.arin.net/policy/ipv4.html#multihomed). So I would like to
know if there is any work being done by AC on itself regarding
micro-assignents or changing multi-homed policy or if next meeting we
can expect 2002-3 proposal to be discussed in full instead.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net