[ppml] Policy Proposal 2002-3: Micro-Assignments for Multihomed Networks

Forrest forrest at almighty.c64.org
Thu Aug 21 17:05:59 EDT 2003

I understand the routing table issue as well, unfortunately I've yet to
see any data that would indicate that a micro-allocation policy would
cause the routing table to greatly increase in size.  If routing table
size was such an issue, why aren't more organizations filtering
based on the minimum allocation size right now?  There are tons of
organizations right now polluting the global routing tables by announcing
their large aggregate and announcing every /24 within.  A micro-allocation
policy could actually cause an overall decrease in # of routes by enabling
people to filter more efficiently.  If there was a specific /8 set aside
that the micro-allocations come from, you could filter out all the garbage
more specific /24's from the other space without disrupting anyone's
ability to multihome.

I welcome any comments, and if I'm completely wrong here please correct
me.

Forrest