[ppml] HD Ratio Applied to IPv4

Charles Scott cscott at gaslightmedia.com
Wed Aug 13 17:02:21 EDT 2003

Kevin:
  I'm sorry, I'm just not getting this. It would seem that any particular
level of assignment needs to stand on it's own. Why then would more levels
of assignment below a particular level make that one level more
challenging to manage.
  Also, the larger the assignment, the larger 20% of the assignment
becomes, so it would seem to be easier to manage larger size blocks unless
the size of the sub-assignments for some reason become proportionately
lager relative to the size of the total block as one manages larger and
larger blocks.
  I don't say the above rhetorically. If there's a good reason to make
this kind of adjustment then it should be done. But when we're looking at
a potential for significantly large additions of wasted (unassigned) space
added to the equation, there should be darn'd good reason for making the
change, particularly when it adds an additional level of confusion to the
process.

Chuck