[ppml] HD Ratio Applied to IPv4

sigma at smx.pair.com sigma at smx.pair.com
Tue Aug 12 16:40:11 EDT 2003

> APNIC is looking at applying the HD Ratio system to IPv4 allocations.
> Attached is their draft document discussing the idea.  I'm curious what
> people in the ARIN region think of the idea.

The current situation, where 80% utilization is required for any size
block, is more challenging when you have multiple levels of assignment
downstream, subdividing the block, wasting boundary addresses, making it
difficult to ensure that each assignment is well-utilized, etc.

The AD-Ratio idea seems to reverse the situation.  Now things are smooth
for networks with multiple levels of assignment, but waaaay too loose for
simpler networks.  A company which has a /17, for example, and uses it
entirely for their own networking, can now get new allocations after only
70.22% utilization.  These companies (eg, datacenters, Web hosts, large
workstation clusters, etc) have the best opportunity for utilization
nearing 99%.  This effectively gives those companies less reason to be
efficient.

Is there any way to distinguish the two scenarios usefully and adjust the
idea accordingly?

Kevin