[ppml] IP address theft?

Bill Darte billd at cait.wustl.edu
Mon Apr 28 18:35:09 EDT 2003

David,

I understand and agree. In fact the 'legality' is irrelevant.  It is an
operational imperative that the convention exists and is abided.

Still if there are those who choose or through ignorance do not cooperate in
this imperative then there must be some corrective actions in order to
elicit the proper behavior.

When no force of law exists (and thankfully military action can be ruled
out), then the industry which is dependant upon the proper behavior itself
must enforce compliance.  But, can it?... and if not what then?

Bill

<David wrote>
Bill,

I am not a lawyer so I won't pretend to know whether it is "theft" in
the legal sense.

The global uniqueness of address space that makes the Internet work is
merely an indirect convention mutually agreed upon by both ISPs and end
users.  The implementation of this global uniqueness has been via the
structures represented by the IANA and the RIRs.  Take away those
conventions as WIANA is attempting to do and something will have to
take their place.  If you were in charge of a large scale ISP and
multiple sets of folks all came to you with the same address space they
claimed to be theirs, which would you choose?  My guess, as I have
become a bit cynical, would be the one that pays the most...

Not a place I want to go.

Rgds,
-drc