[ppml] Last Call for Comment: Policy Proposal 2003-5

william at elan.net william at elan.net
Fri Apr 18 14:03:54 EDT 2003

How about this version for proposal:

"Minimum requirements for operating reassignment whois server for those
ISPs that do not use SWIP to provide public access to their reassigments
are as follows:

Reassignment server must allow public access to reassignment information
24 hours a day, 7 days a week and must return results that are up-to-date
for the ip address queried.

Reassignment server may follow privace considerations for public access to
whois as described in other ARIN policies but must provide exact detail on
assignments and allocations to ARIN staff.

The ISP may restrict the number of queries allowed per time interval from
a host or subnet to defend against DDOS attacks, remote mirroring attempts,
and other nefarious acts and may temporarily disable service for short
maintanance period not to exceed 12 hours per month.

Reassignment server must respond to query with minimum set of attributes
per object as defined by ARIN staff. The server may include optional
attributes that are defined by the operator and may return results
for other (non-ip) queries."