[ppml] Re: Dealing with ARIN.. my experiences & tips

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Tue Apr 15 02:40:14 EDT 2003

Thus spake "Bill Woodcock" <woody at pch.net>
> On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
> > No, I mean that you should be able to trade in both PI and PA
> > blocks for a single new PI block.
>
> Yes, but you're wrong.  You can trade in PI and PA blocks for a
> single new PA block.

Nobody with PI space would voluntarily trade it for PA space; that makes no
sense.

If someone has a PI prefix, the damage (to the routing tables) has been done
and increasing the size of said PI allocation does no harm.  FWIW, I
required at least one PI block in each trade-in specifically to prevent a
generic PA-to-PI loophole.

> > I don't see any explicit reference to what justification is or isn't
> > necessary.
>
> Last I knew, and I'm the author, it said no justification was necessary.

I'm really not trying to be a nuisance since I'm in favor of this policy,
but I'm looking at http://www.arin.net/policy/2002_6.html, and I don't see
any mention of what paperwork is (or more importantly, isn't) required to
qualify.