[ppml] Proposed Changes to ARIN Policy Proposal Process

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Apr 10 12:47:49 EDT 2003

OK... I think William must have attended a different live meeting than I
did, because he came away with a _VERY_ different impression.

1.	All policies currently are made as recommendations by the AC,
	then last call at meeting and to mailing list for community
	yeah/nea vote.  Then, that result is forwarded to ARIN board
	and board decides whether or not to adopt policy.

2.	The proposed changes DO NOT CHANGE THIS PART OF THE PROCESS.

3.	The proposed changes do create a situation where the AC can
	consolidate similar policies.  This is a GOOD thing.

4.	The proposed changes do create the ability to get your proposal
	past the AC if you feel strongly and can get N (where N appears
	to currently be 4) other people to agree with you.  This prevents
	the AC from being a roadblock to the community while allowing
	it to at least be a filter.

5.	The proposed changes do NOT as far as I could tell shift any focus
	to/from mailing list vs. meeting.  In fact, both are currently
	basically equal as far as I can tell, and, both should continue
	to be about equal.  I can say that the mailing list definitely
	does not have priority over the meeting in the current environment.

Just my impressions.  YMMV.

Owen