[ppml] Proposed Changes to ARIN Policy Proposal Process

Ron da Silva ron at aol.net
Thu Apr 10 11:53:08 EDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 11:30:08PM -0500, Mury wrote:

> I see your concerns.  However, can't the smaller ISPs, myself included,
> have the final say by voting in a different AC if things get ugly?
>
> With that in mind, I don't see any problem with the proposed changes to
> the proposal process.  If the AC doesn't like the a proposal in the first
> place, it isn't going to be adopted anyway.

Not necessarily true.  If there appears to be general consensus
regarding adoptation of a particular proposal and yet individuals
on the AC do not personally agree with the proposal, the AC's role
is to represent the membership and facilitate moving such a proposal
through the process.

The new procedure explicitly describes the AC's ability to not
sponsor (reject) a proposal, presumably because the AC does not
see that moving it through the process would likely lead to any
general interest or support (such as Alex's example of yellow
sweaters during the members meeting in Memphis).

We are trying to make the process more focused and thus effective.

-ron
/AC