[ppml] Policy Proposal for Micro-Assignments for End-user Organizations IPV4

Beran beran at beranpeter.com
Mon Sep 30 14:14:53 EDT 2002

Statement of Proposed Policy:
To allow Micro-Assignments for End-user Organizations.

Specific language to be adopted:
Keep all the current IPV4 End-user Assignments language except to change in
third paragraph change /20 to /24:
The new paragraph will read:
The minimum block of IP address space assigned by ARIN is a /24. If
assignments smaller than /24 are needed, end-users should contact their
upstream provider.

Arguments for the Proposal and General Discussion of the Issue:
I started a company in 1991 and was able to obtain a Class C license. Our
company did well and grew to more than a hundred employees. I left the
company last year and started a new company. My old company still has the
class C that I registered. (/24)
My new company is growing but does not support the use of a /20 address
space. My ISP is charging me for every ip address I use. I never paid for ip
address in the past and do not feel good about it now.
We should have a policy in place that supports small businesses and does not
promote ripping off the small business's by the letting the large ISP's
charge for each IP used.

Proposed Timetable for Implementation:
To be voted October 30th for immediate implementation.

Please contact me if you have any questions,
Beran

Beran Peter
Beran at beranpeter.com