Being blacklisted by Spews

Allen Smith easmith at beatrice.rutgers.edu
Wed Sep 4 20:47:55 EDT 2002

On Sep 4,  8:41pm, Jill Kulpinski wrote:
> Hello Hansel and all,
> Thanks for your comment and just to clarify, I am not speaking with
> regards to Exodus or any specific ISP.  This is a general question that I
> wanted to raise to the community for feedback.

Ah.

> It is interesting because a lot of the feedback is saying that the ISP
> would just disconnect the Customer.  What if the Customer was sending a
> lot of mail from an address because they provided newsletter distribution
> services?

Is the newsletter confirmed opt-in - and can the customer _prove_ that this
is the case? Then neither SPEWS nor anyone else (other than competitors!) is
going to have a problem with the newsletter, and it will not have caused a
listing. If not, then they're spammers, and the ISP should kick them off -
or the ISP will suffer the consequences, as will anyone else dumb enough to
do business with a spam-friendly ISP.

	-Allen

--
Allen Smith			http://cesario.rutgers.edu/easmith/
September 11, 2001		A Day That Shall Live In Infamy II