[ppml] RIR's to leave IANA / ICANN

John M. Brown john at chagres.net
Tue Oct 8 00:41:50 EDT 2002

The ARIN BOT and the President of ARIN has repeatedly asked
the ARIN AC to be more involved in these issues. The ARIN
AC has been mostly silent on these issues and part of our
job is to provide GUIDANCE (from the web site) to the BOT on
policy issues.

When an RIR needs a /8, it is, um, Allocated, from
the IANA.  Seems to be an Allocation issue to me.

Its perfectly wise for the AC to be active and involved in
bottom up policy making processes, and not to limit its
roles in that process.

Deciding on what ARIN does with its relationship with IANA
is a policy issue, and it would be wise for the members of the
AC, and the Membership to be more active in this area.

I think having to go to the ITU for future allocations to the
RIR's would be a disservice to our community.

I have not said the BOT is acting in a disservice to the
community.  I *am* saying that the ARIN AC is not acting,
or participating in providing better input to the BOT, even
when it has been expressly asked by the ARIN President to do
so.

I *am* saying that the ARIN Membership *MUST* take
a more active role in helping provide input to the AC, the BOT
and ARIN Staff..