[ppml] RIR's to leave IANA / ICANN

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Oct 8 00:29:45 EDT 2002

> ARIN and the other RIR's have posted several letters, based on
> staff and Board positions, that indicate they (the RIR's) are
> supporting a departure from the IANA.  Some well placed folks
> at IETF and other orgs have commented that it appears to be a
> power grab on the part of the RIR's and that this is ill-advised.

that last part is quite an exaggeration.

    From: Randy Bush <randy at psg.com>
    To: Daniel Karrenberg <daniel at karrenberg.net>
    Cc: RIPE Local IR Working Grouo <lir-wg at ripe.net>
    Subject: Re: [lir-wg] ICANN Reform
    Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 11:06:04 +0900

    to paraphrase from a private conversation:

    note that the iana function is the only formal link between the
    ietf and the registries, and we should be careful of what we break.
    the ietf does not want to start writing rir (and N other fiefdoms)
    consideration sections in rfcs.

    there are a number of different roles of the iana function, what
    different parties need from the iana function, and their/our
    respective relationships to and through the iana.  the rir position
    seems to be to break away from the iana.  the ietf position, such
    as it is, seems more to coordinate the non-dnso iana functions in
    the iana in a way well detached from icann dnso politics.

    randy

and, though i do not speak for the ietf, i believe the above opinion to
not be uncommon.

randy