[ppml] Why should ARIN have to be dictated first by ICANN?

A. M. Salim msalim at localweb.com
Fri Oct 4 11:13:48 EDT 2002

Hi,

This just keeps getting better and better.  Since when did IP addresses
become like apartment buildings?

An IP address is not like an apartment building, it is not even like the
land that the apartment building stands on.  It is like the address
nameplate on each apartment.  And a Class C is like the street name
signpost.  That's all it is.

And you want ICANN and ARIN to charge $10 to $15 per month for each of
them ??!!

There is no "service value" that you can in any way, shape or form attach
directly to the IP address as a chargeable entity by itself.  All the
"service value" comes from routing and network infrastructure (the network
cabling, hardware and software we have to pay for), administrative
infrastructure (the employees, the building leases, the utility bills,
federal and state taxes not any hair-brained ICANN nd ARIN taxes that we
have to pay for) etc.

Yes ARIN sould charge some sort of fees to support their infrastructure,
and the $2500 per year for a /19 is quite reasonable, and some would argue
it is too high.  Byt Jim's suggestions and comparisons are truly beyond
reason.

Look I really don't have time to keep posting on this subject repeateddly
so this is my last post on this topic.  I sincerely hope that everyone on
this list recognizes that such fund raising suggestions have no merit and
no place in the industry.

Best regards
Mike Salim.