[ppml] Why should ARIN have to be dictated first by ICANN?

Jim Fleming JimFleming at ameritech.net
Fri Oct 4 10:34:29 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Baptista" <baptista at dot-god.com>
To: "A. M. Salim" <msalim at localweb.com>
Cc: <ppml at arin.net>
Sent: Friday, October 04, 2002 9:19 AM
Subject: Re: [ppml] Why should ARIN have to be dictated first by ICANN?

> On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, A. M. Salim wrote:
>
> > As a tiny ISP (we have a /22 from our upstream), at YOUR recoking, we
> > would now need to start paying ARIN $10,240 per year and ICANN another
> > $10,240 per year.  Please, Jim, please try and read your own posts one of
> > these days!
>
> Well - right now they want $2,500 per year for a /24 - /19.

You might want to look at it like apartment buildings.

A /22 supports 1024 "units"...at $12.50 per month per unit, that is $12,500 per month in revenue.
One month (8%) is a common fee to the broker, on an annual basis.

One then can compare $12,500 and $2,500.

It appears that at $2,500 per year, ARIN is selling at $10,000 below the market rate.
Non-profits are not allowed to compete with for-profit companies and this may be a
good example of why that is the case. A for-profit company could not compete if their
price is $10,000 per year higher. It is also illegal in the U.S. to dump products at below
market costs, to gain an unfair advantage and attempt to monopolize a marketplace.