Encouraging return of legacy space WAS Re: [ppml] ARIN Policy Proposal 2002-9

Jeff Urmann Jeff.Urmann at HFA-MN.ORG
Thu Oct 3 11:31:19 EDT 2002

ARIN has no control over the deployment of any IPvN.  ARIN must assume
that IPv4 is here for the foreseeable future.  ARIN`s policies must
not rely on any replacement to the current IPv4.  All my opinion of
course.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Darte [mailto:billd at cait.wustl.edu]
Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2002 9:22 AM
To: ARIN PPML
Subject: RE: Encouraging return of legacy space WAS Re: [ppml] ARIN
Policy Proposal 2002-9

Seems to me that ultimately the issue of IPv4 address reclamation falls out
like this....

Question 1..... Is IPv6 really a viable protocol for widespread Internet
application?  If yes, then...

Question 2..... Is the (relatively) contiguous blocks of unallocated IPv4
space sufficient to last until there is widespread adoption of IPv6?  If
yes, then.... Do not worry about reclamation at all.

If the answer to Question 1 or Question 2 is NO, then.... begin an
aggressive process of voluntary reclamation, immediately (soon).  Making a
case for why it is in the best interests of the 'public' for such return
provides the basis for litigation (involuntary reclamation) in the future if
need be.

Oh, BTW, if IPv6 is not a viable protocol for widespread Internet
application, then an aggressive process of IPv4 modification or replacement
ought to be underway.

Bill Darte
ARIN AC