[ppml] ARIN Policy Proposal 2002-9

George Cottay cottay at qconline.com
Wed Oct 2 12:47:35 EDT 2002

Well, the time has come for me to confess ignorance and possible
inattention.

I'm confused by discussion here about needs for non-routed IP's other
than the present 10, 172, and 192 space already reserved.  Especially
given the size of the 10.0.0.0/8, I cannot for the life of me imagine an
organization needing more. Even if one were to divide on the basis of
the old class C, that leaves upwards of 65,000 possible subnets with
which to play.

I'm even more confused by mention of a need for public addresses that
are not routed.  I thought routing was the most significant difference
between public and private space.

Is anyone inclined to explain?