[ppml] ARIN Policy Proposal 2002-9

Jim Fleming JimFleming at ameritech.net
Tue Oct 1 13:39:01 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Diller" <ddiller at cogentco.com>
To: <ppml at arin.net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 12:23 PM
Subject: Re: [ppml] ARIN Policy Proposal 2002-9

> > 1. $10 to $15 per month per /32 for Retail Customers...Check all the ISPs
>
> Call me skeptical.
>
> Can I get a show of hands for how many ISPs out there charge $2,560 - $3,840
> _PER MONTH_ to allow a customer to use a /24?
>

> Volume pricing, it's a simple concept.

That would be the revenue from 256 customers, not one customer.

For ICANN and ARIN, why does it matter if you have 1 customer or 256 ?
Isn't the amount of **work** the same for them ?

Assuming one month goes to ARIN ($2,560 - $3,840) what percentage should go to ICANN ?

Note, the U.S. Government has said it wants ICANN to be well-funded. When the U.S. Government
created ARIN, it knew it would be well-funded. Everything was gold-plated from day one.
ICANN will likely need a ranch overlooking the Pacific Ocean with some horses to attract the
people (workes) in that area. How will they fund that ? At the moment, they have to look out over
the harbor where their yachts are maintained. Don't you think they should have another place up
in the hills overlooking Malibu ?

Jim Fleming
2002:[IPv4]:000X:03DB:...IPv8 is closer than you think...IPv16 is even closer...
http://www.ietf.com
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt
http://ipv8.dyndns.tv