[ppml] Last Call for Comment: Policy Proposal 2002-6

David Conrad david.conrad at nominum.com
Wed Nov 13 18:24:12 EST 2002

Einar,

As a person responsible for a policy similar to that being discussed at
ARIN, albeit in a different region, let me provide my 2 cents:

On 11/12/02 1:05 PM, "Einar Bohlin" <ebohlin at uu.net> wrote:
> This looks like a blacklisted IP exchange;  kind of like a
> dirty needle exchange program.

Not really.  It is an attempt to try to clean up allocations made prior to
the understanding of the need to aggregate.

> Does a legacy B and a /24 get you a /15?  And no fees
> for this?

My reading of the policy proposed would indicate that yes, if you had
_fully_ used a /16 and had an additional /24, you would be able to request a
/15.  I am, however, a bit skeptical that full utilization of a /16 such
that a /24 wouldn't fit is possible.

> Used IPs are not as good as fresh ones.

Interesting assertion.  Why do you say this?

> What's
> ARIN going to do with the used ones?

Presumably, if enough can be returned, they'll form larger aggregate blocks
which can then be re-allocated.

> Will there be reduced fees for those used IPs?

Why?

> Keep in mind that when this is properly abused many of
> these requests will have to turn into transfer requests.

What forms of abuse do you anticipate?

> This is to reduce routes? It looks too easily abused, with
> dubious results.

What is the scarcest resource on the Internet these days?

Rgds,
-drc