ARIN Database and Template Transition

David R Huberman huberman at gblx.net
Thu Feb 21 14:30:05 EST 2002

Richard,

I have a few questions/comments about the new templates.

In no particular order:

(1) net-isp.txt - In the "3 Month Projection Section", what
is the intended purpose of "10. Additional Information"?
Outside of a stated need of a [insert requested netblock here]
and projections that support this stated need, are there any
other criteria by which ARIN hostmasters judge 3-month needs?

(2) net-isp.txt - How about changing 7. to read:

	7. Reassignment Option (SWIP/RWHOIS/Other/Not applicable)

(3) transfer.txt - I'm not entirely certain I understand nor like
item 6. - the ability to remove existing SWIP information at the
time of transfer. Since I'm unclear of the motivations for this
action, can you please offer an explanation of the thinking behind
this item? It seems dangerous to me. Thanks.

(4) Throughout the templates, the phrase **REQUIRED** is used
inconsistently. In most cases, a field is required. In most cases,
it's fairly intuitive when a field is optional. I'm not sure what
the final visual product of these templates is supposed to look like,
but perhaps a final consistency check would be warranted for the
"**REQUIRED**" statements. [My point: apply it to ALL required
fields or get rid of it everywhere.]

(5) net-end-user.txt is currently unavailable on the FTP server.
Please put it back up.

(6) netmod.txt - Whoa! What is "REMOVE"?? Maybe I'm missing the
boat, but what is "REMOVE" doing in a netmod template? The
instructions fairly clearly indicate this is to remove a
downstream assignment/allocation. Is this intentional? Did
ARIN staff decide it was a good idea to extend the scope
of netmods to allow parent POCs to quickly remove SWIPs?

(7) In poc.txt, the instructional text is inconsistently
placed above and below the item to which it refers.
In most cases, the text is for the item above it.
But look at 14. and 17.

/david

|      Global Crossing API       |
| Manager, Global IP Addressing  |